It is easy to try and do life in our own strength. When I do that, I often find myself in a more difficult situation than what I began with. It’s like deciding to drive to New York without a map. Like Bugs Bunny, we always make a wrong turn at Albuquerque.
Thankfully, when we do make a wrong turn, God is with us. God does not leave us on our own. God gives us the Holy Spirit who resides in us and empowers us in mission.
- The Spirit empowers us through teaching us all things and bringing to our remembrance all that Jesus taught. (Jn. 14:26)
- The Spirit helps us understand the things freely given us by God and impart that in words, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual. (1 Cor. 2:12-13)
- The Spirit gives us the words to speak. (Lk. 12:12)
- We receive power through the Spirit for ministry. (Acts 1:8)
- Through the power of the Spirit, the Spirit enables us to speak the truths of the Spirit. (1 Thess. 1:15)
- The Spirit empowers us not only in our words and our ministry but also in our weakness, by interceding for us with groanings too deep for words, according to God’s will. (Rom. 8:26-27)
- The Spirit strengthens us in our inner being. (Eph. 3:16)
Individually and collectively, we in the church are dependent on the power of the Spirit. The power given to us by the Spirit as an individual is not for our own personal gain but for the church and the kingdom of God.
“The mediations and powers of the Holy Spirit…lead the church beyond itself, out into the suffering of the world into a divine future.” -Jürgen Moltmann
Let us be led.