Bob Dylan agrees: “For the times, they are a-changing.”
We’ve been having a conversation about the world that we’re finding ourselves in and how different it is from the world of the past. Today is unlike yesterday. Tomorrow will be unlike today. As it gets better in some ways, it gets worse in others.
One of the big steps forward that we’ve taken is the sharing of global information. It is estimated that a week’s worth of the New York Times contains more information than a person was likely to come across in a lifetime in the 18th century.
Today, we can know more of what’s going on all around the world. With knowledge comes responsibility so we are now responsible for more information than ever before.
“Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.” -Proverbs 31:8-9
Because of the world that we live in, the work of advocacy is more possible and more necessary. To give voice to the struggles of those who have no voice is a major opportunity for God’s people and we should not miss it. To that end, CBF Advocacy has assembled some resources to help us get started in this work of advocacy.
I would encourage you to do some reading. Research current issues and discern how God’s kingdom needs to bear witness in the midst of them. Pray about what you can do and get involved.
- CBF Advocacy and Public Witness
- A helpful overview to the work of advocacy
- Sign up for periodic email updates from CBF Advocacy
- Payday Lending: A Christian Response
- An overview of the payday lending problem
- The Ordinance – How Nonprofits are Fighting the Payday Loan Industry
- A documentary on predatory payday lending featuring CBF pastors and churches
- Call to Action Against Racism
- An overview of systemic racism and what we can do
- CBF Advocacy: Immigrant and Refugee Advocacy
- An overview of immigration and refugee issues
- Immigration and Refugee Advocacy
- Helpful resources on immigration and refugee advocacy